The Ogun State Government said on Saturday that the weekend lockdown in Ogun State will continue until further notice.
On July 3, Governor Dapo Abiodun had said there should be no business activities on Saturdays and Sundays in Ogun State for another two weeks.
This, the Governor had said, would help in reducing the spread of the deadly coronavirus, the battle against which, according to him, had not been won.
On Friday, Ogun indigenes were hopeful that Abiodun would relax the lockdown.
But, in a statement on its social media handles on Saturday, the Ogun State Government said:
“Despite the remarkable number of cases discharged, the State Government by reason of the number of confirmed cases recorded daily due to community transmission, continues to enforce total lockdown on weekends.”
It stated further “that total lockdown will be enforced on Saturday, 18th July, 2020 and Sunday, the 19th.”
Meanwhile, the state government has confirmed 13 new cases of the deadly COVID-19 announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Friday.
With this development, the state now has a total of 1,159 confirmed cases, 777 of whom have recovered.
Having recorded 22 deaths so far, the state now has 360 active cases.
“Ogun State on 17th July, 2020 recorded 13 new COVID-19 cases, as part of the total 1159 so far confirmed since the index case in February.
“Having discharged a total of 777 cases with 22 related deaths recorded, the State is currently managing 360 active cases in its Treatment and Isolation Centres,” it said.