Connect with us

News

Kebbi govt announces death of one coronavirus patient

Published

on

Kebbi govt announces death of one coronavirus patient

Kebbi State has announced the death of one coronavirus patient in the State.

The chairman of the state task force on COVID-19, Alhaji Muhammad Jafaar, told newsmen on Saturday in Birnin Kebbi that the second case, a 60-year-old patient was brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital (UDTH), Sokoto, into the state.

Jafaar explained that the patient was discovered at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi to be diabetic and hypertensive before contracting the virus.

He said “This is the second index case and the first death recorded in the State.

“He was a 60-year-old man brought from Usmanu Dan Fodio Teaching Hospital, Sokoto by a relative to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Birnin Kebbi, where he was receiving treatment for diabetes and hypertension.

“While in the FMC, a consultant was invited and COVID-19 was suspected and our response team was called in.

“Sample was collected from the patient on 25 April.

“Before the patient was taken to the isolation centre, he died on April 26.

READ  Kano govt confirms six new cases of Coronavirus

“On April 29, the result of the test came back positive of COVID-19.

“From then, our contacts tracing team swung into action and traced 12 closed contacts and 17 other contacts.

“All samples have been collected and sent to the laboratory for testing.”

According to him, the management of the UDUTH, Sokoto had been contacted and working together with Kebbi’s COVID-19 task force to curtail the virus.

Muhammad Jafaar appealed to the people of the state to remain calm, assuring that the state had received technical support from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on case management.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © 2020 Green News