Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Ondo residents condemn Akeredolu’s stance on Easter celebration

Published

on

COVID-19: Ondo residents condemn Akeredolu's stance on Easter celebration

Following the discovery of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ondo State, residents of the State have expressed dismay over Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s approval that Christians should converge on churches on Sunday to commemorate Easter.

According to some of the residents who bared their minds to DAILY POST, they were yet to understand the rationale behind the governor’s relaxation of the earlier ban on social and religious gatherings, amid recorded case of the deadly disease.

Recall that Governor Akeredolu had earlier temporarily lifted the ban on religious gathering in the State, in order for the Christian faithful to converge on churches on Sunday for the Easter celebration.

According to Akeredolu, the move was borne out of the importance of Easter in the Christendom.

The governor’s decision came after an index case was recorded in the state on April 3, 2020.

With another confirmed case recorded in the state on April 10, 2020, the residents said it was an indication that the state is not ready for gatherings under any guise.

READ  Relaxing COVID-19 lockdown is 'arrant nonsense' - Biafra group blasts governors

While stressing that the decision should be immediately called off, some of the residents maintained that they are many Easters to be celebrated.

For a resident of Oluwatuyi area of Akure, Mr. Oguntoye, those who advised the governor over the move had no good intention towards the state.

“In a situation like this, some states and cities across the globe are on total lockdown but here in Ondo State, the governor said people should go to the church to celebrate Easter.

“I want to believe those who advised him in that direction are enemies of the state. What is Easter celebration compared to the live of the people of Ondo State?” He queried.

On her part, Miss Funke Adegun emphasized that with the contact tracing of the two confirmed cases in the state still ongoing, government was trying to toy with the pandemic when critical measures were being taken by other governments.

READ  Taraba shuts down mosques, churches, declares total lockdown over COVID-19

She said, “I just don’t know what is wrong with us in this part of the world. Even those that brought Christianity to us in Africa are on total lockdown.

“Nothing is happening at the Vatican at the moment. The stay-at-home order is in full force. Even in Saudi Arabia no one is going to mosques but here we want to claim that we are the holiest. But what I think they are doing is that they just want to dare God.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © 2020 Green News

X
X
X